Subject: Re: IDE RAID on mb?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2000 13:28:57
Jukka Marin wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> The recent pentium motherboards have some kind of a built-in IDE RAID
> controller (so I was told).  Someone said this controller looks like
> a regular IDE controller to the OS.  (Does it?)
>
> Does NetBSD 1.5 support this RAID system?
>
>   -jm

If this is something like the "Abit KT7-RAID", the chip is a Highpoint
370, which is supported. (under 1.5 at least)
It is just a pciide controller, the "RAID" aspect is the fact that
the BIOS does software RAID.  So an OS can boot from the RAID array
and load the Highpoint drivers and have a full RAID solution.  Albeit
software.  The Microid Research BIOS (MR BIOS) had support for IDE RAID
several years ago, so this isn't anything new, just new marketing.
(AFAICT anyway)

It would be nice to add support to NetBSD to automatically recognize
these "arrays" and have raidframe automatically configure them.  Then
NetBSD could fully boot from the BIOS provided array without worrying
about any of the underlying details. :)

-Andrew