Subject: Plextor CD Writer W121032A _sometimes_ recognized on boot
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/17/2000 15:33:26
I have NetBSD 1.4.1/i386 running on a Pentium III system with a Gigabyte
GA-6BXE motherboard (Intel chipset). The BIOS is an AWARD Plug and Play BIOS
v1.0A. When I power the system, the BIOS always recognizes the CD Writer
correctly. When NetBSD boots and loads its device drivers, it sometimes
finds the CD Writer in the secondary master of the onboard IDE controller.
But sometimes it finds it and says "failed to reset pciide 0:1:1". Sometimes
it doesn't find it at all (reports no secondary drives on controller).

Has anybody else seen this erratic initialisation of devices? Anyone know
how to overcome it?

Thanks
 Bruce Martin