Subject: Re: freetype-lib problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/2000 00:18:25
--------------0A65DA42ADB79ACA2C765B7C

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >>gv needs: freetype-lib-1.3.1 but
> >>gnome needs: freetype-lib-1.2
> >You can hack the Makefiles.
> >DEPENDS+= freetype-lib>=1.3.1:../../graphics/freetype-lib
>
>         are you sure they are compatible enough between 1.2 and 1.3.1?
>
> itojun

Exactly?
I already tried this and then it simply found another dependency
that needed hacking also. There could be heaps.

Plus: At first I pkg_delete'd the freetype-lib-1.3.1 and installed
freetype-lib-1.2 so as to install gnome. (ps i don't even want to run
gnome I just want some gnome apps to run) Then before installing
gnome I ran my beloved gv to check if it still worked with the new
(actually older) freetype-lib. But it DIDN'T work anymore. It was
broken.

Perhaps if the whole install procedure ran with freetype-lib-1.2
hacked into the pkg, then it might work, rather than just ripping
out the 1.3.1 and installing the freetype-lib-1.2 on it's own. I will
try this tomorrow perhaps when I get a spare heap of time so I can
hack ALL the dependent packages.

But I have my doubts as to if it would work.

Isn't there a better way? How come broken packages exist
in the formal release??? I am new to netbsd and so far I've
thought it terrific!!!, but this is kind of odd.

any other suggestions appreciated,
Paul.

Paul (NCC/CS).        (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre