Subject: Re: Intel ISP1100 Experiences
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/2000 23:09:45
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> > 1) They won't power off with a shutdown -p. Is this anything to do with
> > the following comment in dmesg:
> >
> > apm0 at mainbus0: Power Management spec V1.1 (BIOS mgmt disabled)
> > APM power mgmt engage (device 1)
> > : power management disabled (0x10f)
> > apm0: A/C state: on
> > apm0: battery charge state: no battery
> >
> 	Silly question - is power management enabled in the BIOS
> 	options?

I looked around, but couldn't find an option that seemed relevant... maybe
I just missed it. I'll look again.

> > 2) How do I force the boot loader to not be confused by the BIOS claiming
> > the serial port it's using for redirection is nonexistent? It's not a
> > problem that I'm using bot serial ports (one for the BIOS, one for NetBSD)
> > right now, but it'd be nice to be more gadget-efficient.
> >
> 	I think you need to hard code the probe for the first serial port.

Yup. How? -DDIRECT_SERIAL?

> 	The sparc port has a simple driver for an LED - it can blink it
> 	to indicate machine load. It would be nice to have a more general
> 	driver....

Yeah, did you see my post about /dev/panel ideas? I'd use /dev/panel as
the low level control for a front panel of any description, and then
define an interface mapping machine states/variables to the particular
lights on the panel - things like init would call "/sbin/panelctl --state
running", and panel_state would look in /etc/panel.conf and find:

state running {
	set_led status = power_on
}

/etc/panel.conf would also contain such gems as:

kernel {
	sched_runq_led = u1
}

...so the scheduler would light u1 whenever a process other than the ideal
process was running, say. /etc/rc would run "/sbin/panelctl --config" to
get panelctl to ioctl() /dev/panel to set up the kernel LED mappings,
which would include states such as "kernel_panic"...

ABS

--
                       Alaric B. Snell BEng ACGI
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RF.Cx/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/