Subject: Re: ISO image
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2000 15:13:33
On 02.11.00, 10:11:01, Eric Delcamp wrote:
> Hi !
>
> How can I burn the ISO image found on ftp.smaug.fh-regensburg.de ?
> I only have NeroNBurningROM under Win2k.
> I think I could do it, just need to know what kind of image it is (Mode 1,2,
> etc...)

An iso image is not in any particular mode, it's just the file system
as specified by the ISO standard 9660. It could also be used on a hard
disk, and can in fact the image as such can be mounted directly using
the vnode device (see vnconfig(8) and vnd(4)).

CD-ROM data tracks (for which, unlike Audio-CDs, data integrity must
absolutely be ensured) are always in mode 1. I think any CD-ROM
writing program should be smart enough to default to mode 1 when given
an "ISO-Image".

The only Data-CD-ROMs I know of whose data tracks are _not_ in Mode 1
are PlayStation-CDs, which, according to cdrdao, are in
"MODE2_FORM_MIX".

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: The OS WORM - Write Once, Run Many
		-- Antti Kantee