Subject: Re: offtopic: fast-booting pentium-class MB?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/2000 09:22:37
riz@boogers.sf.ca.us (Jeff Rizzo) writes:
> So, does anyone have an inexpensive MB recommendation for a board
> which spends less than 10 seconds in its initial tests?  Or would I be
> better off pursuing a non-i386 solution?

I've seen some work done by folks to make a very quick booting linux.
Basically they ripped the bios out of the motherboard's flash and put
a kernel in there.  They say one of the problems is that the board now
boots so fast that the IDE drive hasn't spun up by the time the kernel
probes it.  Yikes!  I'd love to have that problem.

        http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/

I assume the same thing could be done with BSD.  After all, they did
most of the grunt work already.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>