Subject: Re: Failing drive or cable? You decide.
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/2000 10:27:36
Kevin P. Neal writes:

> It might have helped if I had been a bit more specific. The ailing drive
> is a SCSI drive. The IDE drives have been running fine.
>
> I'll check my cabling tonight to see if I actually do have loose connectors.
>
> I'll also check and verify that I have parity enabled. I had to muck with
> every knob in sight to get the machine to boot. My drives wouldn't probe
> by NetBSD unless I disabled sync transfers in the SCSI card BIOS settings
> (what's the proper term for that, anyway?).

You might try to format the SCSI drive.  This should cause the drive to
remap any bad sectors.  Of course it should be doing that already, but
perhaps it is a marginally bad sector. :-)

I have an IDE drive at work that will shutdown when an attempt is made to
write to a certain area on the disk.  The area is certainly bad, but it is
difficult to mark it as such as the drive shuts off and scandisk, etc can't
handle it. :(

Anyway, you can also get some SCSI utilities from PTG, Peripheral Technology
Group, which bought up some of the Micropolis stuff.  They have a utility
called "adiag" (I think) that will work on any SCSI drive via an ASPI
driver.  It will scan a drive for bad sectors and create a script that you
can then run which tells the drive to remap them.  It is a DOS program.

-Andrew