Subject: Re: Failing drive or cable? You decide.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/2000 08:40:07
On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 07:13:17AM -0400, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
> > Ok, so I'm continuing to fight with this P-133 box. I've now added
> > an AHA 1540C (? something close to that) and three drives. This is
> > in addition to the two IDE drives and one IDE cdrom already installed.
> >
> > I'm having a problem with the 4 gig IBM drive (the newest drive in the
> > box) where it starts making scary clicking noises and subsequently
> > the box crashes.
> >
> > You know the noise, the sound of a drive head reseeking on a sector,
> > perhaps reading from a bad sector. Scary stuff, but no messages are
> > returned on the console.
>
> My system does exactly the same thing when an ide cable comes
> loose. I can fix it by pressing on the connector. Obviously I
> either need a new cable, or the motherboard ide connnector is
> faulty. UDMA/66 ide does crc as I understand, so I'm not very
> worried when the system comes back by reseating the connector
> but regular ide may not be so forgiving, and may corrupt your
> data doing the same thing as I said above. Good luck.

Hmmm.

It might have helped if I had been a bit more specific. The ailing drive
is a SCSI drive. The IDE drives have been running fine.

I'll check my cabling tonight to see if I actually do have loose connectors.

I'll also check and verify that I have parity enabled. I had to muck with
every knob in sight to get the machine to boot. My drives wouldn't probe
by NetBSD unless I disabled sync transfers in the SCSI card BIOS settings
(what's the proper term for that, anyway?).

--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...