Subject: Re: i386 1.5_BETA binaries available
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2000 15:19:38
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 10:07:27PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> 1. Try dmesg | more when you're exited from sysinst. It prints innumerable
> ^@ characters before the actual dmesg.

Right. This is because dmesg is aliased do 'cat /kern/msgbuf', so you're
looking at the raw message buffer (including dmesg would make some ramdisks
overflow their size).

> 3. Sysinst has the similar problem. It sets the cylinder limit to 1024
> no matter what the real value is.

Well, not really. The 1024 limit applies to *BIOS* geometry, which
is totally different from the real disk geometry. Note that the
message sysinst gives you talks about the BIOS geometry. It is
only of importance during MBR partitioning (and even then, the CHS
values are ignored on modern BIOSs). NetBSD doesn't care about
the BIOS geometry at all once booted.

> 3. Linux fdisk complaints NetBSD partition doesn't fit in cylinder
> boundary. Obviously, this isn't a bug but compatibilty problem.

There's no real reason to start a partition on a cylinder boundary
(except perhaps the first one, as some bootselectors want to have
the first track empty). I think I removed this same message from
the NetBSD fdisk a while ago.

Thanks for your comments,

- Frank