Subject: Re: i386 1.5_BETA binaries available
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/2000 21:02:03
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:29:16AM +1100, Robert Elz wrote:
> I did an "upgrade" of a 1.4.1 system using the 1.5_BETA sets, everything
> worked fine, other than that sysinst complained about /usr/include/i386
> not being empty (then renamed it to i386.old - which looks like it
> contains everything that would have previously been there) and some other
> complaint about something related to pcvt (I thought it said it was
> renaming that to .old as well, but if it did, I can't find it).

I believe that once upon a time, /usr/include/machine was a directory,
and i386 a link to it. This was reversed later. So all /usr/include/machine/*
files are in the obsolete list, and so is /usr/include/i386. This was
changed from 1.4.1 -> 1.4.2.

So, if you upgrade 1.4.1, you're going to see what you saw. The obsolete
file handling could be a bit smarter, like "only remove this if it's
a symbolic link", but.. it's a minor nuisance, not a big problem.

I think I saw the pcvt one too. I wonder if it's forgetting to remove
something.

> Sorry, at the time I didn't think to make a note of exactly what it was
> saying.   Does sysinst leave a log file anywhere (on the installed system)
> of what it has done?   If not, should it?

There are some logging options, I don't think the logfile is written
to the target filesystem, but on the ramdisk itself, presumably
because it includes log info on labelling, etc. It's probably
a good idea to copy that to the target fs later and append to it.

- Frank