Subject: Re: IBM TP760EL in Dock (was::RE: Problem with Tecra 8100 docking sta tion.)
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/2000 12:04:11
<tm_wanka@earthling.net (Thomas Michael Wanka) writes:

> On 20 Oct 2000, at 15:19, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
>
> > It occurs to me that a way to deal with all of the multiple-pseudo-ISA
> > buses would simply be to ignore them
>
> Hi,
>
> this thread made me wonder if multiple PCI and ISA busses are
> supported by NetBSD in general or if such problems are limited to
> kind of *broken* structures like notebooks (I do not intend to offend
> someone, but to my experience portables seem to be a playground
> for developers to do weired things).

Multiple PCI buses are fine and we support them, both in the case of
PCI buses behind PCI-PCI bridges and multiple processor-PCI bridges.

I don't know of any i386 machines with legitmate multiple ISA buses
and we wouldn't have any support for them there. On architectures with
less legacy attachment to the ISA bus, I could see multiple ISA buses
being possible, but again I'm not aware of any systems, and would be
somewhat surprised to find such a thing.

        - Nathan