Subject: XON/XOFF
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/2000 10:57:59
Hello Greg!

  GW> Of course it is possible -- but you will anger all
    > Emacs users who try to use your terminals!  :-)

Why, does Emacs depend on an 8-bit link?!

  GW> Remember you can usually get away with cat-3 cable for
    > RS-232 so long as your runs are in metal conduit and
    > so long as you terminate with shielded in-wall
    > junction boxes and use only shielded cable from the
    > wall to the terminal.

For my application that would most likely cost more than
screened cable.

  GW> With good drivers and individually shielded cable
    > though you can expect to go as much as 200' at
    > 19.2kbps.

I seem to remember 15m (about 49') as being the limit for
RS-232C.  If I were going further I would probably look
towards RS-422 or optical fibre.

73,
-Andy.

Free email with cool domains at FriendlyEmail
http://www.mypad.com/