Subject: PNPBIOS broken after last major rototill?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/2000 12:41:17
Folks:
	I've only now gotten around to upgrading my laptop to a recent
	vintage of kernel (it was running some 1.4X, from ~ 4/30/2000
	previously) and now find that it finds none of the pnpbios-
	attached devices.

	The problem is that the devices offered by the PNPBIOS on my
	laptop (a DEC VP765, if that matters, with PhoenixBIOS 4.0 rel-
	ease 6.0) have empty (zeroed out) static configs.. The PNPBIOS
	code takes that to mean 'device disabled'.

	However, the dynamic configs do offer valid sets of resources,
	and if I go back to querying the dynamic configs, sure enough I
	get my PNPBIOS devices back.

	So, this gives rise to two questions:
		(1) Does the PNPBIOS spec say anything about this? Is my
		    laptop somehow violating the standard by not offering
		    any resources in the static config?

		(2) Is anyone else experiencing problems with PNPBIOS
		    devices claiming to be 'disabled' on their machines?

Thanks!
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                   rafal@mediaone.net