Subject: Re: pmap_zero_page() and TLB
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/2000 18:27:09
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Matthew Orgass writes:
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> >   I had a similar problem on my K6-3.  I would get three or four
> > undesireable signals of various kinds during every kernnel compile.  I
> > also tried turning off page zeroing with no effect.  A source and compiler
> > upgrade fixed the problem completely as far as I can tell (though I have
> > not tried building the world yet).
>
> hmmmmm. is this 1.5 or -current?

  Current.  The working version is from September 19.  September 12 and
sources showed the problem.  Also, I am fairly sure that some earlier
kernels showed the problem (possibly to a lesser degree) since I remember
running a standalone memory test for a few hours at one point without
finding any hardware problems.  I don't remember when that was, though,
and I haven't upgraded much lately so it could be near 1.5.

  Also, I use -O3 -pipe, which should use quite a bit more memory than
standard compiles.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net