Subject: Re: Can't find /sbin/ldconfig
To: Mike Sienicki <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2000 09:54:43
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Mike Sienicki wrote:

> I tried to load all necessary packages needed for Windowmaker which includes
> png.  When I load the png package it complains that it can't find
> /sbin/ldconfig.

You're trying to load 1.4.2/i386/a.out packages on i386/ELF, right?
You must realize that this can only work if you've updated from 1.4.2,
and still have the a.out libraries. If this is clean install of
1.5_ALPHA2, you might be better off building the packages yourself, fresh.

> Do I need to get ldconfig from the V1.4.2 tarbells?  It doesn't appear to be
> part of the 1.5Alpha sets.

This should all work transparently by 1.5, but the change (to build
ldconfig on ELF) hasn't been pulled up into the release branch yet,
and there's no "compat" package with the 1.4.x shared libraries, yet,
either. If you have the 1.4.2 sets handy, and you want to try to make
this work, you'll need, besides "ldconfig", to install the 1.4.2
system and X libraries under /emul/aout/usr/{,X11R6}/lib. It may also
be useful to extract the 1.4.2 "ldd" (but rename it, to say,
"ldd-aout", so it doesn't overwrite the ELF "ldd").

Finally, your snapshot /etc/rc.d/ldconfig won't run ldconfig on bootup
on ELF systems, so you'll need to address that. (This should be fixed
by 1.5, too.)