Subject: Re: pmap_zero_page() and TLB
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2000 23:46:22
Frank van der Linden writes:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:41:53PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > So, I just heard for the first time today that some people hare having
> > K6 issues wrt. zero page idling -- wasn't aware of that.  So, this goes
> > back to the problems we saw with the Cyrix CPUs.  I think the way the
> > pmap is doing TLB invalidation is a little sketchy.
>
> I don't think it's causing any problems on K6 CPUs.. one vague report
> I saw was more likely due to bad memory.

It was me, and yes, I now suspect hardware in this case. I was getting
a lot of Signal 11's whilst compiling and a few raidframe panics, all
in the course of a few days. The box had been running fine until I
upgraded my 1.5 kernel from a couple of months ago *and* plugged a
parallel cable into the motherboard. Suspecting software, I disabled
vm_page_zero_enable, and the Sig 11's were still there after reboot. I
haven't had a raidframe panic since then though, but that *could* be
because I have stopped hammering that box locally because it's my main
server and I can't afford the downtime on it. (So I now compile on my
laptop over NFS)

I'm about to migrate the server functionality to my PC164 so I can
then spend the time to do more in depth diagnosis of the K6.