Subject: Re: S3 Savage MX/IX support in xsrc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2000 13:33:13
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 12:01:05AM +0200, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
>
>  > The only nit is that you need to explicity set 'Chipset "s3_savage"'
>  > in the Device section of XF86Config.
>
> Any idea why this is?  What's wrong with the auto-detect feature?

The s3_savage driver is doc'd as being wierd...
from xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc/README.S3V:

3.2  Known limitations in the Savage family support (s3_savage driver)

The Savage family driver for the Savage3D and the Savage4 was donated
to XFree86 by S3 very closely before the release of XFree86-3.3.5. The
driver violates a few design principles and goals, but since there is
massive demand for it, we decided to include it in XFree86-3.3.5. For
3.3.6 some rewrites have been done, there is fallback code for
non-BIOS modes.

Frederick