Subject: Re: Extracting a kernel from a floppy?
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Yubyub bird <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2000 14:27:43
John Hawkinson said on 2000-10-08:

> | Is it possible to extract the kernel used to boot the sysinst set from
> | floppy?  I've a custom sysinst floppy boot set, and I want to take the
> | included kernel and boot it regularly (i.e. off my scsi disk) until I can
> | get a real compiled kernel.
> |
> | Any tips or ideas would be muchly appreciated.
>
> You shouldn't need to extract it -- you can grab binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL.gz,
> which is the same kernel. i.e.
>
> ftp.netbsd.org://pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL.gz

Normally, yes, but this isn't the 1.5 ALPHA2 kernel or any other
snapshot.  I only have the boot floppies - no gzip'd kern or other is
available...

Plus, it'd be neat to know how to do.

-yubyub
croquette - n.  A small cake of minced | SMTP: yubyub@yubyub.net
 food, such as poultry, vegetables, or | http://www.yubyub.net
 fish, that is usually coated with     | NetBSD on Sparc, Alpha
 bread crumbs and fried in _deep fat_. |  i386, Mac68k, VAX