Subject: Re: 1.4.2 fails on my new pIII system.
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2000 08:16:46
> 	Following up on my own post for a third time, I've got 1.4.3_ALPHA
> installed now, thanks to not using the pccons driver.  I had to split the
> generic kernel across two floppy disks, boot 1.2G, copy the kernel bits
> onto the hard drive, glue them back together and reboot.  Now I have a
> working kernel which uses the wscons driver to talk to the Weasel card and
> that seems to work.  I guess the pccons driver officially doesn't get along
> with the PC Weasel card from version 1.4 to 1.5ALPHA.  Too bad, it makes
> installation a real drag.  When I get things installed, I'll poke at it and
> see if I can figure out where pccons is losing its lunch.

I have a group of older 486 boxes that have a similar (but precisely
opposite) problem with 1.4 and pccons.  I was using wscons, and
three or four of the black hearted little devils just wouldn't
work. I found that I could get the system up by booting the machine
and telneting into it.  Obviously, this is a suboptimal solution,
and certainly doesn't go to the root cause of the problem, but once
I get the machine.

It could certainly be argued that this can be a problem for any multi-
platform system, but we see it far worse than any of the late comers.
Developing a working video console implementation is hard enough in a
development environment as "rich" as the PC; adding 30+ other ways of
doing consoles can only make it more exciting.