Subject: Re: Versions and DHCP
To: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/2000 08:54:40
On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 10:26:41PM +0000, dribbling@thekeyboard.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Couple of questions, I'll start with what is probably the
> more straightforward of the two.
>
> 1. What is the most recent stable release of NetBSD/i386?  I
>    have seen some references to 1.5.x, but I'm guessing that
>    is still experimental.  I think I have only tried 1.4.2.

1.4.2 is the latest official release, but 1.5_ALPHA2 is on the release
track, and something very close to it will be released as NetBSD-1.5.
It's pretty stable, and with lots of new features, but it's not a
release yet.  (Though I, for one, have needed so many of the new
features, that I've pretty much moved to 1.5_ALPHA2, even for
production deployments, unless I really really need a more 'known'
quantity.  Plus, 1.5 will be out soonish, and the upgrade should be not
too painful.

> 2. Is there some way to manually configure a machine via
>    DHCP before I start the install proper?  I would like to
>    be able to install NetBSD via FTP, but need some way to
>    make the machine request its IP address and possibly
>    those of its gateway and DNS.  Any ideas?

I believe this is supported in the 1.5-era bootfloppies/sysinst, but not
in 1.4-era.  (At least I've used it in the 1.5 floppies)  IPv6 autoconfig
is supported, too.  :)

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz