Subject: Re: adduser again
To: faisal <faisal_gillani@flashmail.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/2000 13:30:47
"faisal" wrote:

> I did make one user by editing passwd.... with vipw but when i try to change
> user password with passwd command it give unknown user error ??????

The new user name should exist in both /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd (note you have to be root to read the later).  By
using vipw, there should also be entries in /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db
but they aren't text files.  However, you should be able to use
strings(1) to check those two out:

	# strings /etc/pwd.db | grep USERNAME
	# strings /etc/spwd.db | grep USERNAME

If the username doesn't appear in all these files then something is out
of sync.

Do you have the list of steps you used to make the new user?

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/