Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a low-memory 486
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2000 12:57:45
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:53:13AM -0700, Andrei Petrov wrote:
> > Seems to me that the real win would be to use floppy based
> > root file system. You'll get your MINIROOTSIZE back as memory.
> > That will be slow though.
>
> I assume you mean having one kernel floppy and one rootfilesystem
> floppy. We used to have something like that, but using that is also
> a squeeze, since, for example, the 'tiny' install ramdisk is already
> 1376256 bytes big. So it won't fit on ye olde 1.2M floppy anymore,
> which is a one advantage of the 'tiny' floppy set.

I didn't mean that that's common solution, but when you customize
you can throw away  unused utilities (sysinst?). Another thing that
as soon as you label you harddrive(if you got one) you'll get swap
besides those 2 Megs you got from memory disk, Oh that's plenty.

> Tricks can be pulled like using a gzip-filesystem, etc, but.. maybe
> next time :-)

I'd go with netboot. Or more memory:-).

Andrey