Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a low-memory 486
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2000 12:39:26
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Gavan Fantom wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Andrei Petrov wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that the real win would be to use floppy based
> > root file system. You'll get your MINIROOTSIZE back as memory.
> > That will be slow though.
>
> This machine isn't exactly built for speed. ;-)
>
> Is it an easy thing to do, or does this involve some serious hacking? I'm
> not at all familiar with building install images, as generally the
> prebuilt ones Just Work(tm).

Going this way prepare to do everything manually. I did similar
things pretty long time ago so I can tell something wrong, the List
will correct me:
1) build kernel you will boot, I assume INSTALL_TINY without
MEMORY_DISK_.. and MINIROOTSIZE, I'd add DDB option in your case.
2) make bootable floppy, heck, I don't remember it anymore:
anyway you should use

disklabel [new bootable]

newfs /dev/rfd0a

mount /dev/fd0a /mnt

cp <your_kernel> /mnt

At this point I'd try to boot this floopy.

3) make another floppy for root file system the same way as before
but don't copy kernel there. Then you'll need to copy there only
what is nessesary for you.
/dev/console (use MAKEDEV, do not copy)
/sbin/init
/bin/sh

You will need to boot the kernel with flag which says ask for root.
I think INSTALL kernel does it, not sure how to do it.

You definitely need another machine with netbsd installed.

Have fun,
	Andrey