Subject: Installing NetBSD on a low-memory 486
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2000 16:40:16
I have a really old 486 machine which has (I think) 4 megs of RAM. I'd
like to get NetBSD 1.4.2 running on it, but the install discs don't get
very far.

The standard boot discs (boot1.fs + boot2.fs) load a kernel and then
reboot, and boot-small.fs reboots immediately after reading a small amount
of data (probably only the boot sector?) from the disc.

Which floppy image is recommended for booting on low-memory machines?
Should it still be possible, or should I consider installing NetBSD 1.2?

Is there a way of finding out more detailed information about what is
happening to cause a reboot?

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget