Subject: Re: wscons, pccons & pcvt
To: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2000 01:07:44
dribbling@thekeyboard.com writes:
> Hello!
>
> The NetBSD/i386 list of supported hardware lists MDA and VGA
> adaptors amongst others (I'm likely to have a choice between
> these two).  It mentions pccons and pcvt, which I take to be
> hardware drivers for the display adaptor and keyboard.

PCVT is being phased out.  It is still in the 1.4.x release but will
not be in the 1.5+ releases.

> Does wscons work through these drivers?  Or supercede them?

WSCONS has support for EGA/VGA, and "MDA" (MDA, herc, cga?), but
only supports virtual consoles on VGA.

Basically wscons is meant to work on any "PC" video card, and if you
find one it won't work correctly with, please use send-pr to file a bug
report.  Also the PCCONS console will be around for some time.  It is
a plain text console without any fancy EGA/VGA features or virtual
consoles, etc.  It should work on anything, even cards that wscons
may not have been tested on yet.

So, you should really use wscons (under 1.5), but if you are low on
RAM, etc then pccons should work for you.

-Andrew