Subject: ISA NIC DMA problems on VLB?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2000 21:44:11
Hello Brian!

  BB> I'm using a Novell ne2100 card with the le driver with
    > very good results.  this card has worked well for 6
    > years and I have no complaints...These cards have DMA
    > capability, and they use jumpers for their
    > configuration.

I like the sound of a jumper-configured card, although I
don't strongly object to an EEPROM-configured one so long as
it stays where it's put (PnP can be a pain in the bum). It's
been interesting to read comments about ISA DMA not working
well in machines with a PCI bus.  Are you using this in a
'pure ISA' machine? Much as I hate VLB, it looks as though I
might end up with a VLB 486 mainboard in my new VLB machine.
Does anyone know if I should avoid a DMA capable ISA network
card on a VLB machine?

Regards,
  -Andy.

Free email with cool domains at FriendlyEmail
http://www.mypad.com/