Subject: Re: Network Interface Cards
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2000 07:41:05
Jared D. McNeill writes:

> I thought about that, but then remembered two things:
>  1) If you install ANYTHING, they assume it's a game or something evil,
>     and remove your account. I can't afford to let that happen. (A friend
>     of mine temporarily lost his account for installing DJGPP, a DOS port
>     of GCC, because they thought it was a game).

Wow, good thing these network fascists are not in the Real World.

>  2) I was going to run it off a floppy disk, but then remembered that they
>     run a proxy, so I need a client that supports proxies.

If you don't have "SOCKS" support you are basically hosed.  The good old
"raw socket via HTTPS CONNECT" might still work, but you'll need to run
sshd on port 443 out on the net somewhere.

I doubt you're able to boot a NetBSD floppy either eh?

-Andrew