Subject: Re: Real mode kernel bootstrapper
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2000 09:45:23
On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Obviously the correct fix would be to write a 'UNDI' driver for netboot
> so it can use the PXE provided hooks. (and thus support "correct" operation
> on different cards)

That is not quite obvious to me. Would a "complete" UNDI driver really be
needed when !PXE supplies us with a high level TFTP implementation?
If you mean stripping NFS, BOOTP, DHCP, TFTP and calling !PXE functions
instead for a 'UNDI' driver we might agree.

> I have a motherboard with a SIS900 ('sip') ethernet that supports PXE so
> having a UNDI driver is pretty required for it.

Our goals might be different - I'd be happy if where able to kickstart a
kernel with help from PXE. A UNDI driver is "nice to have" but I do not
think it would be widely used because of performance limitations in !PXE
(One UDP connection at a time etc.)

But I might just misinterpret your definition of a UNDI driver?

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen