Subject: Re: Real mode kernel bootstrapper
To: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2000 12:56:10
Claus Andersen writes:
> Hello,
>
> Handling of PXE has been dicussed several times (especially on
> tech-install) and there seems to be three general ways to go about this:
> 1) Use Grub.
> 2) Use Etherboot.
> 3) Use Intel "demo" code and load a 1.44Mb floppy image.

FWIW, I have been testing PXE also.  I have been able to modify the netboot
startup code just enough to start a 'netboot' binary loaded via PXE.
It actually can boot also, but as the PXE code has the fxp card in a
certain state netboot times out at first.

Obviously the correct fix would be to write a 'UNDI' driver for netboot
so it can use the PXE provided hooks. (and thus support "correct" operation
on different cards)

I have a motherboard with a SIS900 ('sip') ethernet that supports PXE so
having a UNDI driver is pretty required for it.

-Andrew