Subject: Re: Multiple VGA cards
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2000 09:55:44
On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Andreas Wrede wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > I've studied this in depth, and so far the most progress that anyone has
> > made is present in XFree 4, where they have code to bring up some cards
> > from scratch and get them into graphics mode.
>
> So that explains why 'dual-head' support is listed as a feature for
> some drivers in XFree 4 and not others. Right now, I am running XFree
> 4.0.1 successfully in Xinerama mode across two Matrox cards, one G400
> and one old 2064W. I just would have liked to have them run as two
> independent X server, with separate keyboards and mice. I guess since
> the X server needs an underlying wscons/pcvt device I am out of luck.

Here's another wierd thing. I could only get the Voodoo3 to work with
wscons=NO. With wscons configured, XFree86 would get confused and pull
in some settings from the built-in SiS 530, and some from the Voodoo3.
I would have liked to get another keyboard and put the text console on
another monitor, but I guess it won't do that.

Frederick