Subject: Network Interface Cards
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/29/2000 13:57:56
-- David Woyciesjes --

  DW> ISA - If you can find it, get your hands on a 3Com
    > 3C509B, download the config disks, and set all the
    > parameters by hand. Do not use Plug And Pray on those
    > cards...

Agreed, I've seen PnP cause more problems than it solves.
Thanks for the other recommendations too.

-- Steve Bellovin --

  SB> One word of warning...  There is (or at least was; I
    > haven't checked lately) a problem with the 3c905B
    > (maybe all models) and some BIOSes if you boot without
    > power-cycling after you've been running Mr. Bill's
    > operating system.  It leaves the card in a funky state
    > so that NetBSD can't deal with it.

I've got an easy fix for that - don't run Microsoft Windows.
I would argue this was a problem with Windows rather than
with the network card.

-- Matthew --

Thanks for the observations.

-- Jonathan Stone --

  JS> 3c509s, if you can find them reasonably priced.  (i've
    > seen still some on retail for just over $100, a top-of
    > -the-line price from 1994 or so).

I have a browser window open now looking at 3Com's site.
3C509b combo = US$ 120, RJ45 only is $60.  I get ISA Realtek
cards for $20 each.

  JS> DMA is prefereable. however, the DMA on the realtek
    > cards isnt particularly well-designed

I suspect our ISA Realtek cards don't use DMA, but I could
be wrong.  If I have cause to start building new PCI
machines I may add 3Com cards since they seem to be well
regarded here (and you guys know your stuff! ;o)  Possibly
3C900b for applications that only need 10MB/S and 3C905b for
100MB/s applications.  The 3C900b is listed at just US$ 56.

  JS> I'd go for whatever the isapnp version is (3c509D?),
    > if you can find a source.

Their current ISA models seem to be 3C509b cards.  I will
avoid PNP if I can.

-- Rick Kelly --

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Free email with cool domains at FriendlyEmail
http://www.mypad.com/