Subject: Re: Network Interface Cards
To: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/29/2000 10:08:35
In message <39C7AFCD001CB67D@mypad.MYPAD.COM> (added by postmaster@mypad.MYPAD.
COM)dribbling@thekeyboard.com writes
>Hello Matthew!

>I've got one of those somewhere, which is probably destined
>for the only PCI machine I have here.  What would you
>recommend for an ISA machine running NetBSD?

3c509s, if you can find them reasonably priced.  (i've seen still some
on retail for just over $100, a top-of-the-line price from 1994 or so).

If you go shopping for ISA cards, you're most likely to find some
variety of ne-2000 clone or derivative.  Many of these have some
proprietary flavour of media control -- e.g., full-duplex, or
switching between 10base2 and 10baseT).  It's worse with PCMCIA, where
support for 100Mbit modes or PHY i/o lines is also proprietary.

At least we have support for the Realtek cards ;).