Subject: Memory consumption in NetBSD 1.5 (ELF) ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/2000 12:58:23
Hi,

while I am listening to my workstation swapping itself to death...

I've got IBM's Java compiler Jikes 1.0.6 set up on a 1.4.1 server
(PPro 200, 128 MB RAM) to do regular test builds from the current
repository. During compiles, the load goes up to 3.5, and Jikes eats
up to 50MB memory. The whole build (cvs checkout, compile, jar) takes
about five minutes. If anybody is doing anything on the machine at
the time (it's an SMB/AppleShare server, CVS server, html documents
server), they feel the load but can still work.

Now, I have set up Jikes on my 1.5 workstation (2x PII/350, 256MB
RAM). Built from the same sources, the 1.5 ELF Jikes wants ~300MB
memory. The whole build takes 10..15 minutes, most of which appears
to be excessive swapping (cpu activity is near zero). During the
build, the machine is close to unusable.

Anybody seen anything like that? Any ideas?

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg