Subject: Re: 1U servers that support serial console BIOS
To: Scott Telford <st@epcc.ed.ac.uk>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2000 05:46:19
Scott Telford <st@epcc.ed.ac.uk>  wrote:
 > Intel do a 1U server called the ISP1100 which claims to have a BIOS with
 > "LAN/serial console redirection". I believe this is OEM'd by various
 > vendors.
 >
 > See http://www.intel.com/network/products/isp1100.htm.

If you don't mind using their Win95 client to talk to your console in order
to do hardware reset and such.  Not to mention that the client supports only
a hard-wired serial connection or dialup modem but no network support. Also,
once you assign a serial port as the 'console' port, the OS doesn't see that
serial port anymore.  So you'd need one serial port for the BIOS console and
one serial port for the OS console.