Subject: Re: USB: ADB-USB bridge "just works"
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/2000 17:06:02
At 7:32 Uhr -0700 26.09.2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 04:13:18PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
> > Ahhh, the Extended Keyboard... "I am impressed."
> >
> > Now, could we attach an adb0 and probe what's there?  ;)
>
>Probably not.  I would imagine that the adapter is pretty specific to
>the Apple ADB keyboard and mouse protocols, as it has to translate them
>to USB events, and generic ADB events probably won't have a well defined
>translation.

I was half joking. But actually...

The adapter can be used just fine without any additional software
under MacOS as long as vanilla ADB devices are attached. For gizmos
like the Adjustable Keyboard (two devices on ADB) or your favourite
3..27 button mouse, there is an Init/Control Panel. Apple's USB
support is a moving target in OS 9.x, though, and the Griffin people
seem to have trouble to catch up.

Still, you'd think there is some (whatever non-standard) mapping of
ADB events to USB events, apart from a "high level" kbd and mouse
mapping. Maybe I should try an Adjustable Keyboard some time.

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg