Subject: Re: auvia0 stuck at 48kHz
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5llen?= <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/2000 08:10:16
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> > Sucks big time I guess. Okay, mpg123 can do sample rate conversion, but
> > that doesn't produce any good sound.
>=20
> I considered putting sample rate conversion in the kernel for these new
> (IMO) deficient codecs, but I didn't.
> Doing high quality sample rate conversion is quite resource demanding
> (especially between close frequencies like 44.1 and 48 kHz) and I'm not
> sure you want that in the kernel.

That could be an option, as new computers has quite some power to spend.

> You should probably try to find some good quality sample rate
> converter program and use that instead of mpg123.

Any example? Never heard of any such program running in realtime. (As mp3
is the only soundsource I ever use it makes me sort of like mpg123 as a
player, could the output of mpg123 be piped to a somple rate converter?)

I'd rather investigate the SB compat mode before trying any 3rd part
converter for everyday use.

--=20
/P=E5llen - http://www.astrakan.hig.se/~pollen
          telnet://mumindalen.astrakan.hig.se