Subject: Re: no video signal
To: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2000 15:02:15
Simon Gerraty writes:

> I plugged the monitor into my laptop and it is fine soit rather looks
> like my video card (Matrox Millenium) in zen is not doing its job.  It
> appears to be in the slot ok.  Anyting else worth trying before I
> resort to digging up another video card.

Does it actually try to boot the floppy then?  If it does it may just
be your video card (or the slot, CMOS settings, etc)

Otherwise...

Pull the video card and power up the box.  Listen for a "multiple beep"
from the speaker.  The BIOS should complain as part of the POST.  If
you don't get this you may have a mobo problem.  Then try removing the
RAM and powering up.  The chipset will usually send a continously beep
out the speaker if there is no RAM.

Also you can try shorting the CMOS, disconnecting everything except
the video card, RAM, etc.  (especially to remove any drive load on
the power supply)

-Andrew