Subject: Re: ULTRA ATA 100
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2000 14:01:39
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 12:15:39PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> In 1.5_ALPHA, the Promise ata-100 is attached and seems to work in
> UDMA-66 mode on 1.5_ALPHA.  Last time I asked Manuel, he said the
> timing setup required for UDMA-100 was different, and Promise hadn't
> made the necessary information available.
>

> The HPT chipset is supported as well, but  (iirc) only in UDMA-66 mode.
> Manuel Bouyer will know for sure.

Yes, both are supported in 1.5_ALPHA2, as well as in 1.4.3.
They're running in Ultra/66 more for now, I can make the HPT work in Ultra/100
as soon has I have an Ultra/100 drive in hands (which should happen soon).
However there is some more overhead with Ultra/100 vs Ultra/66 (modes for read
and write are not the same; writing still happens at Ultra/66) so I'm not
sure Ultra/100 is really a gain ...