Subject: Re: 386sx w/ 3 megs of ram...
To: Chameleon <nsane.sylum@home.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/2000 14:12:17
Chameleon writes:
> this is a pretty bad question... but i'll ask it anyway...
> i have a 386 sx laptop with 3 megs or ram on it...
> and i want to install a BSD on it...
> does anyone know if an older version of netbsd will work on it??

If kind of depends on what you want to do with it.  If you just want
to learn about NetBSD or write simple programs, edit files, etc you should
be able to get it to work, albeit very very slowly.  I would think a kernel
could be built with no networking and the barest minimum of drivers that
would work.  This would probably run in 3MB, but for the longest time the
4MB mark has been thrown around as the lower end limit.

So while you can probably get a kernel to boot, you may not be able to
really do much.

I would be glad to help you with building minimalist kernels, etc if you
don't have access to a "full" NetBSD/i386 machine. :-)

-Andrew