Subject: Re: elf->a.out (was Re: How good is FreeBSD emulation?)
To: None <kent@goathill.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2000 12:46:52
On 22 Sep 2000, Kent Polk wrote:

> Speaking of 1.5 and ELF (headed the other way), is there a mechanism
> to support 1.4.2 a.out libraries alongside ELF? In particular the
> pkg system...  I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible
> to use an a.out pkg system with 1.5 ELF.
>
> Why? Because I have a small network of 1.4.2 boxes with an extensive
> pkg installation and am trying to figure out how to more systematically
> migrate it to ELF than just shutting the whole system down till I
> get it finished. Since most 1.5 ELF libraries have newer version
> numbers that their 1.4.2 a.out counterparts, I was doing pretty
> well just copying the old a.out libraries to /usr/lib, but ran into
> a problem with libcrypt because it is the same version no. as 1.4.2

Move the a.out shared libraries in /usr/lib to /emul/aout/usr/lib,
/usr/pkg/lib to /emul/aout/usr/pkg/lib, etc. You should also get
ldconfig from an a.out machine, and arrange to run it once on boot-up.
(rc.d/ldconfig won't run if it see you're using ELF.) When you finally
delete the package to update it, pkg_delete will complain about the
missing file, but that's all.