Subject: elf->a.out (was Re: How good is FreeBSD emulation?)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2000 17:23:13
On 22 Sep 2000 08:55:01 -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

>We support FreeBSD ELF binaries in 1.5 and -current, and enough FreeBSD 3.x
>syscalls to make most binaries work.  However, you need the
>_correct_ELF_libraries_ or else stuff won't run.

Speaking of 1.5 and ELF (headed the other way), is there a mechanism
to support 1.4.2 a.out libraries alongside ELF? In particular the
pkg system...  I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible
to use an a.out pkg system with 1.5 ELF.

Why? Because I have a small network of 1.4.2 boxes with an extensive
pkg installation and am trying to figure out how to more systematically
migrate it to ELF than just shutting the whole system down till I
get it finished. Since most 1.5 ELF libraries have newer version
numbers that their 1.4.2 a.out counterparts, I was doing pretty
well just copying the old a.out libraries to /usr/lib, but ran into
a problem with libcrypt because it is the same version no. as 1.4.2

If this is possible, is there some discussion on how to do this
that I missed? Thanks