Subject: VPC now viable
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2000 21:34:51
Okay, I still don't have the CD-ROM, and I still haven't figured
out a few other things... but I got the mouse working.  (I even
did it myself - my first real driver hack!)

VirtualPC now self-hosts.  I am using VPC to build new VPC kernels.
X runs in 1024x768x16, although the mouse only has two buttons.
I am talking to Jason about getting tlp0 working.  I have a contact
at Connectix, and I hope to find out about getting the CD-ROM
working soon.

Anyway, if anyone wants a kernel for 1.5alpha2 or so that runs on
VirtualPC, let me know.  I have it running ok.  :)

Performance, as you might expect, pretty much sucks.  It's fascinating
comparing my "real" laptop (PII-233) with my "virtual" laptop
(G3-400 running VPC).  The real laptop is marginally better, but
not much.  The Mac is clearly faster than my previous laptop.

I've submitted some of these patches for possible inclusion, and
I hope that, once VPC_CPU is a viable standard option, particularly
easily amused people will be interested in testing it out, isolating
problems, and getting them fixed.

-s