Subject: Re: multiple netbsd slices on the same HD
To: root <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/2000 16:33:10
On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 01:35:38AM +0200, root wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> 	I'd like to have to NetBSD system on the same
> box with only one HD, one for a test environment and
> one for a everyday use. Questions:
> - is it possible?
> - is the 2nd installation straightforward? (I suppouse it's not)
> - must Disklabels be kept in sync?
> - is it sufficient to change the active slice to choose the
>   system to boot from?

It's certainly possible but I don't think it'll be straitforward.
You can't have 2 NetBSD slices on the same disk (one possible thing would be
to change "MBR_PTYPE_NETBSD" in disklabel_mbr.h and recompile a whole system,
including install floppies).
So I would install 2 systems on the same slice (say, root of the first
is wd0a, and root of the second sd0g) - this way, disklabels are in sync
and you can easily share swap partition. But the installer won't let
you do an install with root on wd0g, you'll have to install by hands (newfs
the partition then extract the sets by hand and config /etc).
To boot the kernel on wd0g, just type 'boot wd0g:netbsd' from the
boot prompt.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>