Subject: Re: Drive size limitation?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/13/2000 13:45:17
Manuel Bouyer writes:

> Maybe it's a formatted vs non-formatted issue ?
> I know peoples which uses bigger drives with NetBSD, without problems ...
> So I think the drive really reports only 32253MB. What does the BIOS says ?

Hmm, it occurs to me that my buddy probably hasn't updated the BIOS since
I initially helped him install the box.  Potentially he has an older BIOS
that doesn't support a disk larger than 30GB.
As this 40GB isn't the boot disk, I wouldn't think that would matter.
Can the BIOS affect what the drive reports for 'atactl wd1 identify' or
is that really from the drive?  What I mean is that if the BIOS only
supports 30GB will the drive and the BIOS "agree" on the value that
the drive will report via identify?

This seems odd to me, but anyway, I'll have him check the BIOS information
and update it as well.

-Andrew