Subject: WORK AROUND FOUND: Win2K and NetBSD Dual Booted System Problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Will <will@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/2000 22:16:18
I hope by posting this will lead to a solution for future users or at least
help those who are still struggling with this..

A week ago I posted a message regarding installing Win2K Professional and
NetBSD 1.42 on the same computer... I'll repost the details now, followed by
the work around...

THE PROBLEM
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Hard Drive was split up as follows:
[ 0.5 Gig (NetBSD Bootup Drive ][ 7.5 Gig (Win2K - FAT32) ][ 8 Gig (NetBSD
data drive) ]
While using OSBS Beta 8 as the boot selector.

Note: The rationale for doing this odd partitioning was to ensure that both
NetBSD and Win2K were under the Intel hardware limitation of being able to
boot partitions under the approximately 8 gig limit.

After installing NetBSD successfully and Win95 as a place holder in the 2nd
partition, I deleted the Win95 system files and installed Win2K into the 2nd
partition...(this is an important step to avoid Win2K's own boot selector
from being installed).

After installation of Win2K, subsequent NetBSD boot-ups reported
"/dev/rwd0f" (my Win2K partition in NetBSD) to be:
"backup doesn't compare to primary bootblock".. and to run fsck_msdos
manually.

But Running fsck_msdos with the different options fails to help.. citing the
same problem...

WORK AROUND
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using Partition Magic 5.01 (MUST BE 5.01. Version 5.00 doesn't support Win2K
Professional).. resize the Win2k Partition down a couple of Megs (we did
about one cylinder size)... apply changes.. reset machine.. reload Partition
Magic... Resize the Win2K Partition again... this time back to the original
size before the size down...apply changes... reset and check NetBSD...
**** REMEMBER TO GET THE PROPERTIES OF THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU SIZE IT DOWN...
Most importantly, get the starting and ending cylinders.. this will be
important when you size it back up... you should match the original size
exactly...

From what my colleague and I can tell... PM5.01 fixes the problem... fsck's
on the drives show no problems and both OSes at time appear to work
perfectly.

Hope this helps you.... thanks to everyone who made their suggestions that
helped lead to this work around.
Ken Shin