Subject: Re: largepage success
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Gregor <bgregor@buphy.bu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/08/2000 15:49:14
I've tried compiling & running a LARGEPAGES kernel on my PC.  Hardware:
K6-III 350 MHz, 128 meg RAM, compiling on a Seagate SCSI-2 disk on a
DPT Smartcache III PCI controller.

Here's what I have for results:
	compile GENERIC:   user       system        real
4MB patch                10m35.710s  0m38.686s    14m17.171s
normal                   10m26.632s  0m34.549s    14m15.473s

No difference!  Is the LARGEPAGES patch intel specific?  To generate
my kernel, I just copied DR-EVIL.4MB and changed it to load my kernel
config.  I also tried lmbench to see if there was any improvement, and
there was no apparent difference between the largepages & standard
kernels.  Each compile of GENEREIC above was done after a reboot.

brian