Subject: Re: VeriLog tools/NetBSD
To: Prasad Nuli <pnuli@yahoo.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/07/2000 19:57:38
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Prasad Nuli wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to learn Software Tools for the Hardware
> design especially for the ASIC and FPGA and Chip
> design.
>
> Is there any good software available for Verilog tools
> and/or Hardware design on NetBSD.
>
> I am novice engineer in this area. My interestet is to
> gain a more generic understanding of VHDL/Verilog and
> Chip Design. Any recommendations ?

Yes there is.  Take a look at the packages collection (follow the
"software" link from www.netbsd.org).  Some packages I recommend are:

cad/verilog  -- this is icarus verilog.  It works pretty well for verilog
                simulation.  I've used it both for school and work quite a
                bit.  It also can do some synthesis for xilinx FPGA's.

cad/dinotrace  --  useful for plotting .vcd files that come from verilog
                   simulations.  does digital waveforms only.

cad/spice    -- good for analog circuit simulation

some of the other cad and math packages may be useful.  I also find
math/scilab very useful in my engineering work.

Hope this helps.

-Dan