Subject: Re: RAIDframe, RAID1, Booting
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/07/2000 20:36:54
On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:07:10PM -0400, Dan J Fraser wrote:

> I haven't been able to find any information on this...
>
> Let's say I have a hypothetical machine (i386) running two identical hard
> disks, mirrored with RAID1 and RAIDframe.
>
> Add the partitions (including the root) are mirrored across those disks.
>
> Now, let's say the boot drive (primary ide?) fails.  Would it be possible to
> set things up so that the system can still boot?  How does one recover from
> a problem like that?  With a bootfloppy?

The way I do it is setup identical boot partitions on both disks (not that
althout / is on a raid device, you still need a 'regular' partition to load
the kernel).
If the first disk fails you need to teach the bios/prom/whatever to boot from
the second one. unfortunably this need manual intervention but I've yet to find
a better way of doing it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>