Subject: Re: multiport PCI cards
To: Hans Hoppe <hopha@casema.net>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2000 16:21:08
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Hans Hoppe wrote:

> on 2000-09-05 03:47, Michael Richardson at mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
>

> > I'm looking for suggestions on 4 or 6 port RS-232 cards.
> > High speed is not a requirement, lack of special connectors is.
> >
> > *Flawless* NetBSD/i386 operation a clear requirement.
> >
> > (The LavaLink card that I have still won't work with multiple ports.
> > I don't have time to debug it...)
>
> I have a machine with a LavaLink Quatro-pci (4 port serial) and two
> LavaLink 2SP-pci (2 serial + 1 parallel) running happily for
> some time now. No special connectors, just an extra bracket per card.
> I'm using a stock 1.4.2 with the definitions for the Lava cards
> imported into sys/dev/pci/pucdata.c from -current.

I just (ie. 5 minutes ago) solved a problem where a LavaLink
Quatro-pci 4-port cards locked up a NetBSD 1.5E machine hard whenever
the first port was accessed. It turned out to be a flapping CTS line
on the card itself which caused the interrupt handler to never exit,
since it loops around to the beginning if there is another interrupt
pending. The 'solution' was to plug a cable (yes, just a cable) into
the port. Now the card works - how reliable I don't know yet...

--
    - aew