Subject: Re: Can't use modems after upgrade
To: Tomas T. Peiser, CET <tom@test2.fundy.ca>
From: Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2000 17:55:57
I have the same problem and many have said that the OS  should detect my
modem (didn't). Your "dmesg" output is incomplete and it is possible
that you haven't found the proper culprit. I looked in all (I thought
:))
proper lines to find nothing of value.

Someone else had to show me the telltale line:

"(miscellaneous communication) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured"

This seems to be the likely key because I am using a PCI modem card.

So, with some help, I have been working on a kernel patch and will
likely have to recompile the kernel to bring the modem online.

If you have not done so, please check the entire "dmesg" output for
a similar line. After that I don't know.

Good luck,

Bill Hudspeth